With millions of apps now available to consumers, marketing a mobile app and cutting through the clutter can be challenging. So what are the keys to success?
- Trial, download, trial: Get as many people as possible to download your app. If you offer it for free, you’ll have an even better shot that someone will take the time to download and use it. If they like it, they will tell others about it (first impressions are important, so make sure the app is ready for prime time before you start telling everyone about it)
- Invite the media to review your app: The third-party credibility of a positive media review can be extremely powerful when promoting and marketing a mobile app. Invite the media to download your app and review it (again, make sure you have worked out any technical bugs or issues before showing it to the media to ensure a glowing review)
- Incentivize downloads through contests and giveaways: Fun social media contests are a great way to encourage people to download your app. Ex. offer a gift card to the first 50 people who download the app and tell their friends about it on Facebook OR partner with bloggers to promote the contest to their fans and followers, expanding your outreach potential
- Get user feedback: Ask people who have downloaded the app what they like or don’t like about it, allowing you to continuously improve your product. You can survey your user base via email, a quick form on your website, or simply by asking them
- Measure success: Tracking your app downloads based on specific marketing activities requires special mobile app tracking technology. Google Analytics can show website traffic or trends, but not necessarily triggered downloads. Mobile App Tracking is a good tool to check out